Nokia N900 to Sony Xperia ARC
New smartphone, new problems: how to convert your contacts, emails and sms to your new device ? Last week i get an Sony Experia ARC (Google Android 2.3 based) smartphone – before i have an Nokia N900. Converting contacts, calendar, etc. was quite easy – just use the embedded “Mail for Exchange” tool from Nokia to synchronize the data with Google Services – add your Google Account in your Android settungs and click “Sync” – Thats it!
But i also wanted to have my SMS back, but i didn’t found any tools for doing this! So here ist the difficult way – but it works perfect! (you need php5 to run the converter script)
- Install Nokia Ovi Suite on your pc
- Synchronize your N900 with this Suite (Messages)
- The complete data is stored as an SQLite3 database in C:\Users\__Username__\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store\DataBase\MDataStore.db3
- Copy the MDataStore.db3 file into an empty directory
- Download the php based converter script: ConvertNokiaSMStoAndroid.php and move it into the same directory as the MDataStore.db3 file
- Run the script: it extracts the messages from the SQLite file and converts them into an XML – sms-n900.xml will be created
- Download and install the SMS Backup and Restore App from http://android.riteshsahu.com/apps/sms-backup-restore on your Android Device
- Create an initial sms backup with this App to create the file structure on your smartphone
- Now transfer the sms-n900.xml file from your pc to your andoid smartphone (into the location you’ve created the backup in the last step)
- Finally run SMS Backup and Restore, click Restore and select sms-n900.xml as source. This will import the xml based data (this process can take some minutes !)
I know..this method is difficult and in most cases for advanced users only…but it works fine ;) Have Fun !